- January 28, 2011
- Posted by: Nalini Ramadoss Rajan
- Category: Blog, Web Development
How to select your Solution Provider?
– Nalini R Rajan
In today’s world, where there is no shortage of companies and freelancers willing to do your job, what factors would you need to consider during the vendor selection process?
This article highlights some of those selection criteria.
- Begin by clearly outlining the long and short term needs of your project. Would you need only an ad-hoc solution or would you need long term support? In case of the former, you need not worry about long term support and a reliable freelancer could be a desirable option.Whereas in case long term support is needed, it is advisable to go in for a company that is stable and will be able to support in the long term.
- Once after selecting the company, it is very important that you ask for introduction to the team that would be working on your project. This is to Get a feel of the Team’s Professionalism with respect to understanding user’s perspective, technical capability, communication and their suitability for the project based on their area of expertise. You could do this by having a conversation over Skype or any such tool. In fact, if this meeting is recorded, it would serve as a very valuable record.
- Also, you need to Check the availability of required resources in terms of Development tools, Servers, Project Management tools that the company has invested in to ensure the success of your project. Remember more tools mean additional cost but also, additional brownie points towards successful completion of your project.
- Last but not the least; discuss the amount of documentation expected by you as a deliverable. Decide for yourself, what are the documents that would be helpful for you. Requirements specs, System test specs, Design documents etc. You could request for them to be in audio file format. That way, you are not dumped with pages and pages of documents, but can listen to these audio files and have a discussion with your solution provider.
The above will ensure that you are not tied down with a single solution provider, but will help us to move on with least wastage of effort to select the right Solution Provider.
About the Author
Nalini R Rajan has around 10 years of experience in a Fortune 500 multinational company. Being in one organisation for this long a period has given her an understanding of the various functionalities of the organisation as a whole. She is now putting it to optimum use as a Consultant for Corelead Interactive.